Recap & Photos: Summer Casual Networking in the Park
Balmy summer weather blessed the annual Bookbuilders of Boston summer potluck last Wednesday evening at the Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park. As always (and perhaps because of the excellent weather) there was an incredible turnout of book lovers, makers, book-job seekers, and publishing professionals. While some folks mingled and rekindled old connections, others talked to strangers and made new friends. And others, such as myself, spend a good portion of our time around the picnic tables enjoying the delicious potluck spread!
Bookbuilders held a raffle that required attendees to answer some “non-trivial” questions about book publishing and manufacturing. How many do you know off the top of your head?
- Question #1: Name one of the finalists at last year’s New England Publishing Collaboration Awards (NEPCo).
- Question #2: What’s the technical term for a binding that’s sewn rather than glued?
- Question #3: Boston is known as an edtech hotspot in the U.S. Name an edtech incubator in Boston.
[For answers, see bottom of the post]
Among the prizes were a $50 gift certificate for Papercuts J.P. in Jamaica Plain, and a sampling of New England Book Show finalists: the gorgeous children’s book Flowers Are Calling by Rita Gray and Kenard Pak (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers), and Dinner Pies: From Shepherd’s Pies and Pot Pies to Turnovers, Quiches, Hand Pies, and More by Ken Haedrick (The Harvard Common Press.)
If you are kicking yourself that you missed the picnic, don’t fret. We’ll be holding another Casual Networking Event on August 17th at the Back Bay Social Club where you can get your fix of conversation, laughter and general book banter. We’ll see you next time!
Answers: #1: Name any of the following: Harvard University Press, American Meteorological Society, Black Key Press, Aries Systems, Jones and Bartlett Learning, Isaak Books, Safari Pub Factory, Candlewick Press, Kudos; Answer #2: Smyth Sewn; Answer #3: LearnLaunch
Guest post by Natalie Vasco Lopez, Bookbuilders of Boston volunteer
Many thanks to Robert Banning of Turning Leaves Editorial for hosting this event
- Recap & Photos: Summer Casual Networking in the Park - July 28, 2016
- Booksellers of Boston: Papercuts J.P. - November 16, 2015
- Booksellers of Boston: Porter Square Books - November 3, 2015
- <strong>New Blog Series</strong> | Booksellers of Boston: Trident Booksellers and Cafe - October 22, 2015
- Recap and Photos: September Casual Networking Event - September 11, 2015