Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact email@example.com for the discount code.
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals. As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
At National Geographic Learning, part of Cengage Learning, our goals are to bring the world to the classroom and the classroom to life. Our learning programs prominently feature the compelling content of National Geographic and TED Talks to inspire students to develop the skills they need to achieve success in life and work. We teach English and the world.
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
The Senior Development Editor is a member of the National Geographic Learning Team and manages in-house and out-of-house development of both print and digital ESL (English as a Second Language) content and materials. The position involves analyzing, preparing, reviewing, editing and writing content; collaborating with in-house editors; managing authors, writers, and other outside resources; project scheduling and tracking; budget tracking; content quality assurance, and creating/executing product enhancement strategies.
As a Senior Development Editor, you are accountable for the entire lifecycle of your products. You participate in creating your product strategy by developing hypotheses, evaluating data, analyzing market and competitive trends, testing ideas in the market, iterating, and ultimately making product decisions based on evidence and insights. While keeping in alignment with business priorities, you take customer needs from concept to launch, focusing on timely delivery, holistic product quality, and an effective learning experience. You are the voice of the customer. Your products bring real-world experiences into classrooms, empower students with acquired knowledge and critical thinking, and improve students’ marketable skillsets.
- Seasoned relationship builder with high integrity who successfully influences stakeholders and empowers team to creatively develop differentiated features, including product briefs, author and editor guidelines
- Serve as the expert on your market to develop highly differentiated materials that exceed market expectations and be accountable for day to day product decision making
- Manages all stages of the process of all or major program components for flagship projects by setting clear objectives and timelines, maintaining schedules, accounting for interdependencies for entire product array, in order to release a product to market on time and within scope
- Hires and manages outside freelance writers and development editors, and supervises in-house assistant and associate editors on the project as needed in order to bring projects to completion within specified deadlines and budgets
- Utilizes excellent project management skills, organization, and clear communication to drive decision-making and progress throughout product development lifecycle
- Engage key sales & marketing stakeholders during development to ensure strong sales launch in market and to help shape the go-to-market product strategy
- Responsible for engaging key accounts during development that will improve the product and facilitate more adoptions and achieve greater sales
- Travel on campus and/or respond to customers to help close business, while researching needs and testing product assumptions
- Participates in marketing and sales strategy and support activities, including training sales reps at sales meetings so they are prepared to sell and overcome objections
- Performs other duties as needed to meet department and company goals
- B.S. or B.A. degree or equivalent; MA TESOL preferred
- ESL/ELT teaching experience required
- Minimum of 5 years of textbook publishing experience
- Proven expertise in publishing ESL/ELT content
- Collaborative problem solving and working style to drive change through influence; honed interpersonal skills
- Self-discipline with a high degree of accountability and personal urgency
- Natural curiosity and willingness to learn paired with a desire for continuous improvement
- Demonstrated writing and verbal presentation skills enabling her/him to prepare and present information and recommendations to a diverse and often senior audience
- Must be innovative, highly motivated, and team-oriented
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks and meet established deadlines