Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code.
Charlesbridge, an independent publisher, seeks an experienced, highly organized, collaborative professional to provide guidance and leadership to our Production Department. This is a full-time position with benefits. Our office is located in Watertown, Massachusetts.
The Production Senior Manager is responsible for all operational and administrative activities performed by the Production Department. Operational responsibilities include the production and manufacturing of a 50-60 book front list, including 4-color children’s picture books and adult non-fiction, MG, and YA novels, and managing the inventory and supply chain requirements through the life of each book for approximately 750 titles. Administrative responsibilities include short and long term planning, supervising and developing a staff of three, and managing the Department’s budget, workflows and technology.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Work closely with our Editorial and Design Departments to develop specifications and budgets for new titles.
- Coordinate and supervise all aspects of book production, including:
- proofreading and reviewing designer files to ensure they conform to templates;
- preparing and reviewing incoming proofs, including wet proofs and plotters;
- preparing and reviewing ebook and audio conversion files; and
- preparing and reviewing files for reprints and subrights sales.
- Responsible for all aspects of print buying, including:
- selection and oversight of print vendors; both domestic and overseas;
- scheduling and ordering individual printings and shipments to meet production deadlines and maintain stock levels; and
- managing printers’ and shippers’ performance to ensure quality, schedule, and budget requirements are met.
- Coordinate and supervise all aspects of stock control, including:
- oversight (and support) of warehousing and fulfillment activities performed by the Distributor, including troubleshooting issues;
- monitoring inventory levels; and
- managing inventory status designations and overstock dispositions.
Our ideal candidate will have relevant book publishing experience along with leadership qualities appropriate for managing a robust and expanding production environment. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of seven plus years of experience in book publishing production and print buying roles; three plus years of experience in supervisory roles.
- Comfortable in both PC and Mac environments; proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.); experience with Adobe Creative Suite and/or title management systems, such as BiblioLive, would be a plus.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and able to prioritize.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Accomplished coach and mentor.
- Able to utilize technology creatively to improve workflows and analysis capabilities.
- Collaborates effectively with a diverse team of internal and external stakeholders.
- Analytics experience with ability to report and present results to key stakeholders.
About Charlesbridge Publishing
Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and a cover letter addressing how your experience and qualifications align with the requirements of the position to Brent Farmer, EVP Administration, at email@example.com.