Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact email@example.com for the discount code.
MCLE, a nonprofit legal publishing company located in Downtown Boston, has an immediate opening for a full-time in-house copy editor. MCLE staff is currently working remotely, but will be returning to our Boston office this summer.
- Corrects syntax, spelling, grammar, style, and punctuation of assigned manuscripts, applying editorial conventions that promote the clarity and readability of the content.
- Formats authors’ original submissions (including exhibits) and/or most recent final chapters using appropriate template for new and revised editions.
- Highlight significant manuscript edits and format changes with queries to Publications Attorney.
- Inputs, formats, proofreads, and copyedits edits from attorney, author, and editor reviews into manuscript pages.
- Inserts cross-reference markers in manuscript.
- Corrects appearance (bad breaks, page balance) of formatted chapter pages.
- Generates updated chapter TOC.
- Prepares chapter files for indexing and finalizes chapters.
- Creates and or updates front matter for titles including: copy editing preface, acknowledgments, and author bios; creating tables of contents, checklists, and exhibits; copyediting subscriber letter; and inserting download information page as appropriate.
- Composes filing instructions for interfiled supplements.
- Reviews and formats indexes resolving any indexer queries with Publications Attorney and makes any necessary changes to final files.
- Updates project tracking files on production SharePoint site and communicates any unresolved or pending issues to Production Coordinator as they occur.
- Proposes appropriate updates of house style.
- Participates in seminar administration and general office responsibilities.
- College degree
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience working under and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in spelling, grammar, and other language skills
- Demonstrated accuracy and speed in proofreading
- Knowledge of copyediting conventions
- Accurate and efficient typing ability
- Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, including use of styles, templates, and tracking changes
- Knowledge of legal citation forms a plus
- Related work experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Non-exempt hourly position
- Salary range: $27,500–$37,500; annual salary review
- Hours: Monday–Friday, 8:30 am–5:00 pm (or other agreed upon schedule between 7:30 am and 6:00 pm) with a 1-hour lunch break; 37.5 hour work week
- 13 paid holidays
- 7 sick/personal days accrued per year
years 1 and 2: 10 days accrued per year
years 3 and 4: 15 days accrued per year
years 5+: 20 days accrued per year
- Employer retirement contribution: 5% of annual salary, vesting on second anniversary
- 401k employee contribution: eligible on first year anniversary
- 75% of individual medical insurance premium; equal dollar amount applied towards family coverage (HMO Blue)
- 50% of individual dental insurance premium; equal dollar amount applied towards family coverage (Dental Blue Preventative)
- Long and short-term disability insurance and life insurance
- Educational benefits: $500 per semester with prior approval, up to $1,000 per year
- Smoke-free environment
- MCLE is an equal opportunity employer