Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code.
Charlesbridge, an independent publisher in Watertown, Massachusetts, is in search of an organized, detail-oriented, creative Editorial Assistant with a passion for children’s books and bookmaking. The Editorial Assistant reports to the Executive Editor. This is a full-time (5 days, 35 hours/week) benefited and salaried in-office position. There is potential for upward mobility over time, including acquiring and editing books.
About Charlesbridge Publishing
Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
The Editorial Assistant assists the Executive Editor with young adult, franchise, and Spanish/bilingual titles; provides additional editorial support to the nonfiction editor; and offers administrative support for the editorial department.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assist with reading and evaluating manuscripts; write thoughtful and timely decline and revision letters
- Assist with generating proposals, terms sheets, and P&Ls for prospective projects, including selling points, creative vision, competition, and appropriate financials
- Assist with editing manuscripts, demonstrating excellent writing, grammar, and spelling, and displaying a firm knowledge of Charlesbridge house style and Chicago Manual of Style, as well as a creative flair
- Assist with evaluating sketches, final art, layouts, and proofs, balancing aesthetic, creative, and financial concerns while collaborating with design and production colleagues
- Conduct market research and post-publication analysis
- Manage all unsolicited departmental submissions
- Manage the CIP data and apply for copyrights for all books
- Manage in-house files for all books and request contract copies for creators
- Upkeep and improve editorial procedure manuals and department systems
- Plan department meetings and events
- Attend industry events, trade shows, and conferences as assigned
- Support the editorial department with administrative tasks
- Excellent organization
- Attention to detail
- Collaborative spirit
- Deadline conscious
- Creative thinking and problem-solving
- Strong sense of prioritization
- Ability to work autonomously
- Well-honed communication
- Ability to learn online platforms
- Microsoft Office proficiency
Our ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree, has prior knowledge of children’s books, performs efficiently under pressure, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and enjoys working as part of a team. Spanish language skills a plus.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume in one PDF doc with subject line “Executive Editor EA” to Karen Boss, Editor, at email@example.com. No phone calls or snail mail, please.