Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact email@example.com for the discount code.
Charlesbridge, an independent publisher in Watertown, Massachusetts, is in search of an organized, detail-oriented, creative Editorial Assistant with a passion for children’s books and bookmaking. The Editorial Assistant reports to the Associate Publisher/Editorial Director. This is a full-time (5 days, 35 hours/week) benefited and salaried in-office position. There is potential for upward mobility over time, including acquiring and editing books.
About Charlesbridge Publishing
Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
The Editorial Assistant assists the Associate Publisher/Editorial Director, manages the paperback/new editions program, edits imported books, and provides administrative support for the editorial department.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assist with reading and evaluating manuscripts; write thoughtful and timely decline and revision letters
- Assist with generating proposals, terms sheets, and P&Ls for prospective projects, including selling points, creative vision, competition, and appropriate financials
- Assist with editing manuscripts, demonstrating excellent writing, grammar, and spelling, and displaying a firm knowledge of Charlesbridge house style and Chicago Manual of Style, as well as a creative flair
- Assist with evaluating sketches, final art, layouts, and proofs, balancing aesthetic, creative, and financial concerns while collaborating with design and production colleagues
- Conduct market research and post-publication analysis
- Assist with managing and evaluating foreign submissions and preparing for annual Bologna international fair
- Edit books imported into the US market, including editing translations when appropriate
- Manage the paperback program, editing and preparing books to go into new formats
- Process completed contracts and manage all advance payments for authors and illustrators
- Manage relationships with, projects for, and payment of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and translators
- Attend industry events, trade shows, and conferences as assigned
- Support the editorial department with administrative tasks
- Excellent organization
- Attention to detail
- Collaborative spirit
- Deadline conscious
- Creative thinking and problem-solving
- Strong sense of prioritization
- Ability to work autonomously
- Well-honed communication
- Ability to learn online platforms
- Microsoft Office proficiency
Our ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree, some prior knowledge of children’s books, perform efficiently under pressure, be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and enjoy working as part of a team.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume in one PDF document with the subject line “Associate Publisher/Editorial Director EA” to Karen Boss, Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or snail mail, please.