Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code.
Are you a meticulous, deadline-driven editorial professional on a crusade to rid the world of clunky copy and fill it with persuasive prose? Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment to create engaging content that forges lasting relationships between brands and audiences? Are you interested in helping brands increase their reach by telling their stories—not selling their products? Super. Come join our team.
Skyword is seeking an individual with 3+ years of full-time, professional editorial experience to join our Content Services team in support of our clients’ content marketing programs. The ideal candidate must be detail-oriented with exceptional developmental and line editing skills, possess impeccable editorial judgement and an eye for quality, and display strong project management, communication, and collaboration skills. Experience editing content for B2B technology, financial, or medical audiences is preferred but not a requirement.
While writers with relevant experience as mentioned above are welcome to apply, this is not a copywriting position.
By joining Skyword, you will have the opportunity to be an integral part of an industry-leading organization. This role would be connected to our Boston office.
A little bit more about the role
The Editorial Manager is a highly organized and skilled editor with experience working closely with writers and clients to craft exceptional content. The Editorial Manager serves as an editorial consultant to clients, provides end-to-end oversight of the content production process on a range of accounts, and works directly with freelance writers to ensure the content delivered meets client expectations and supports each account’s strategic goals. In collaboration with professional services managers and editors, the Editorial Manager owns developmental editing, proofing, and writer coaching, recruitment, and engagement for assigned accounts. As such, the Editorial Manager serves as a critical gatekeeper of quality, ensuring that content is delivered on schedule and to established standards of excellence.
What you’ll be doing
- Immersing yourself in each client’s market to better understand the brand, target audience, and value proposition supported by the content
- Collaborating with professional services managers to develop assignment summaries for each piece of content, which act as guides for our writers, ensuring content produced aligns with our vision and client goals and expectations
- Performing an initial review and developmental assessment of all work submitted by writers with the goal of ensuring that it is cohesive, meets all core requirements of the assignment summary, and, in substance, tells a story that is compelling, well-argued and on-brand
- Performing a final proofread of all fully edited content
- Owning account-specific contributor management, including recruitment, onboarding/offboarding, feedback and training
- Communicating revision requests to contributors (including any client-requested revisions as needed), providing detailed, constructive feedback to ensure that content meets assignment expectations and editorial standards and to help strengthen their writing skills
- Supporting content audits through timely, critical, and accurate evaluation of content against established criteria
- Developing and maintaining custom editorial style guidelines for each account
- Maintaining professional communication with internal and client team members regarding the status of content deliverables, content priorities, and editorial quality
- Managing content production timelines as assignments move through the editorial workflow, ensuring the timely completion and delivery of all assets
- Using data, industry and editorial best practices, and creativity to identify ways to improve content quality and translating those ideas into actionable recommendations for clients
What this role requires
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- Minimum of three years of experience development editing and line editing and at least one year working directly with writers
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills with an exceptional eye for detail
- Expert knowledge of both The Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook
- Exceptional understanding of what a writer needs to submit quality work
- Experience supporting the production and delivery of time-sensitive written content
- Excellent time management and project management skills with the ability to effectively support concurrent projects and adapt to changing priorities and timelines
- A curious mind that is willing to learn about and understand diverse industries and audiences
- Superior communication skills
- An editing test will be required of candidates
What we would like to see
- Experience working with B2B technology content, B2B financial content, or B2B medical content
- Experience working in a client-facing position
- Experience editing and publishing within a CMS
- Experience with online content
- Strong understanding of search engine optimization concepts and digital publishing best practices
- Experience using performance data to support strong editorial recommendations
The Editorial Manager will work remotely until it is possible to work in Skyword’s Boston office, and will work during normal business hours.
Many things can hold us back from applying to a job posting. The truth is, there's no such thing as the “perfect” candidate. Skyword is building a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, will only complement the team we already have in place. At Skyword every team member can grow and develop. So, please apply if this role inspires you, and would make you want to bring your best to work every day. We’ll bring the rest to make this a memorable experience!
Founded in 2010, Skyword empowers today’s top brands to create unique content experiences that deliver customer value and drive business success. With its SaaS+ model, Skyword offers: a SaaS-based enterprise-level content marketing platform, industry-leading services, and a global community of storytellers. Today’s leading brands have created and published more than one million original stories as articles, videos, images, infographics, podcasts, and animations on Skyword360. These stories have earned Skyword customers more than two billion visits organically, and Skyword has paid its freelance creatives more than $30 million on behalf of its customers. Skyword is a privately held company headquartered in Boston, MA with an office in Washington D.C. Current investors include Rho Acceleration, Cox Media Group, Allen & Company, Progress Ventures, and American Public Media Group.