Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact email@example.com for the discount code.
Charlesbridge, an independent publisher seeks a creative, organized, energetic Designer to join the Design Department. This is a full-time, in-house position with benefits. Our office is located in Watertown, Massachusetts. We believe in hiring the right person more than filling a specific position, so a range of design experience is welcome to apply. Two plus years of experience as a book designer with a strong interest in children’s books is required; art direction experience is preferred.
About Charlesbridge Publishing
Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
A Designer at Charlesbridge both designs and art directs books working closely in a team environment with the editor, author, and illustrator. The Designer prepares support materials for their books and accurate files for pre-press and the printer. The Designer must have a deep understanding of all children’s literature formats from board book to YA.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Design books in accordance with the principles of good book design
- Research, propose, and contract illustrators whose work complements and enhances the manuscript; working closely with illustrators to make beautiful books that generate strong sales and critical acclaim
- Prepare accurate files for prepress using best practices of book production and following printer specifications
- Manage multiple projects and schedules
Our ideal candidate will have at least two years of experience in book design and art direction, be a creative problem solver, who is able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoys working as part of a team. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree or the equivalent
- Extensive knowledge of typography, graphic design, and color theory; able to harmonize text and art
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud software (especially InDesign and Photoshop)
- Proficiency in the Mac environment, including computer management skills such as back up, upgrades, and maintenance; Microsoft Office; and font management software.
- Willingness to travel.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, a cover letter, and a PDF design portfolio or link to a design portfolio to Diane Earley, Art Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.