Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact email@example.com for the discount code.
Job Posting: Design Assistant
Charlesbridge, an independent publisher, seeks a creative, organized, energetic
Design Assistant to join the Design Department. This is a full-time, in-house position (after the current work-from-home situation) with benefits. Our office is located in Watertown, Massachusetts.
About Charlesbridge Publishing
Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
Charlesbridge is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The Design Assistant supports the needs of the Creative Director and design staff in a fast-paced team environment. Administrative skills, organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task are highly important, as well as a keen interest in children’s book design and literature.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Work with the design team to learn the details of children's book design and book making.
- Support the Creative Director and other members of the design team by maintaining files, including book files, artist portfolio files, and book-specific photo/art files, and scanning and placing art into InDesign layouts, as needed.
- Serve as the point person for requests from the marketing department, including maintaining the promotional support materials schedule and creating marketing materials, as needed.
- Coordinate and design new editions, including both paperback and electronic editions.
Our ideal candidate will be a can-do person who supports everyone in the Design Department. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree; experience in graphic design or publishing.
- Must demonstrate a strong design aesthetic.
- Must have extensive experience in the MAC environment, with Adobe Suite (InDesign and Photoshop) and Microsoft Office skills.
- Works collaboratively with others in a team environment; takes ownership of, and pride in, work product.
- Works well under deadline pressure; able to multi-task and take initiative to see/do what needs to be done.
The Design Assistant is an entry-level, in-office position in which the successful candidate will learn the fundamentals of book publishing by assisting with all aspects of book design and production.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, a cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements, and a PDF portfolio or link to an online portfolio to Diane Earley, Creative Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.