Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code.
Associate Production Editor
Electronic Prepress Department
The American Mathematical Society (AMS), founded in 1888, is a non-profit membership organization that is dedicated to advancing research and connecting the diverse global mathematical community through our publications, meetings and conferences, MathSciNet, professional services, advocacy, and awareness programs. The AMS has 30,000 members worldwide and offices in Rhode Island, Michigan, and Washington, DC.
The AMS invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Associate Production Editor, located in our Providence, RI headquarters. This position has primary responsibility for overseeing print and/or electronic publications from receipt of manuscript through post-production. Production Editors handle both book and journal manuscripts, and at times, special publications or other projects as needed.
Come be part of an extraordinary collection of talent who provide excellence in publishing to support the Society’s extensive activities.
- Copyedit mathematical papers, following established style guides and requirements set for each project; proofread, and/or check book and journal material
- Work in LaTeX files or other desktop publishing programs at an advanced level; coding text and mathematical expressions
- Provide basic technical information and support to authors and editors as required by the project
- Prepare digital files for the printer; post materials to the Web as necessary using tools provided
- Evaluate artwork for printability and oversee preparation of art materials
- Work within established directory structures, file formats and databases
- Oversee production of projects as assigned, giving feedback to other staff who complete tasks for the project
- Monitor schedules and budgets for specific projects and notify management as discrepancies occur
- Work with other Production Editors and supervisors to resolve problems as they arise, in a timely and efficient manner
- Maintain accuracy and completeness of the publications database
- Communicate with typesetters, authors, editors, freelancers, and other staff, inside and outside the AMS
- Perform quality control checks throughout the production process
- Write status reports, prepare cost sheets, order CIP data, and follow up on permissions issues as required
- Participate in and complete training programs as directed
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- College degree preferred or equivalent of related experience is required
- Experience working in an office environment, preferably in publishing
- Working knowledge of Adobe Suite, LaTeX and/or EMACS desired
- Familiarity with high-level mathematical material for print and online publication desired
- Excellent command of English language, grammar, and usage. Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Working knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style or comparable editorial style manual
- General knowledge of scholarly publishing both in print and on the Web
- Strong technology skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Office and web browsers
The AMS offers excellent benefits including competitive salaries, health and dental, very generous retirement plan contributions and investment options through TIAA, flexible spending benefit, generous paid leave, paid life insurance, flexible work hours to help provide work/life balance, free parking, a casual and relaxed work environment, computing benefit, tuition assistance, professional development opportunities and much more.
The American Mathematical Society is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.