Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code.
The Assistant Managing Editor provides support for the editorial office for the AATS publications portfolio, including The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. He/she will supervise the progression of manuscripts through a complex internet-based peer review system (Editorial Manager (EM)). He/she uses EM to create multiple weekly, monthly, and annual reports for the editors, perform initial and revised screening and assignment of manuscripts to editors, and follow up with delinquent reviewers, authors, and editors. Additionally, he/she compiles and produces documents, correspondence, and reports for the Director of Publications and Editor. He/she must perform duties requiring attention to detail, initiative, and independent judgment. He/she receives initial incoming calls and answers questions or properly transfers to appropriate staff. He/she refers or answers and tracks e-mails in office inbox. Some travel required.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Managing Editor (AME) primary responsibilities include:
- Provide pre-production manuscript preparation, including video content, graphical abstracts, AATS Meeting discussion transcripts, Invited Expert Opinions accepted for Publication in AATS Journals.
- Prepare online article content for websites of AATS Journals
- Prepare online article content for AATS Journals Alert and other online channels
- Assign new and revised manuscripts to appropriate Associate Editors.
- Monitor and contact late reviewers and authors weekly to ensure manuscripts are processed in a timely fashion; create reports for editors regarding late materials.
- Gain mastery of EM to serve as the system administrator for operational changes.
- Project positive, helpful “customer service” approach in all dealings with journal Editor, Associate Editors, authors, reviewers, and all other callers.
- Assist with data collection to improve Journal outcomes.
- Update Journal information and editorial changes online and in print
- Handle office correspondence and perform other office support functions as assigned.
Professional Experience and Qualifications / Key Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree or professional publishing experience or equivalent
- 2-3 years experience in scholarly publishing, ideally working with journals
- Facility with Microsoft Office required. Familiarity with the Editorial Manager system is highly desirable; experience with other Web-based manuscript submission and review systems is a plus.
- Vendor management experience.
- Knowledge of medical/scientific language and editorial processes helpful.
- High level of organizational and communication skills are critical; attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to prioritize work load and to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously.