Job board details: For Job Seekers | For Job Posters
- 30-day postings are $75. Featured postings appear on the home page and at the top of the job board and are $125. Select “Post a Job” at right to begin.
- Medium and large business memberships include unlimited regular job postings at no charge.
- Large business members can create featured listings at no charge; medium business members can upgrade to featured listings for $50 per listing.
- Medium and large business members: contact email@example.com for the discount code.
Barefoot Books is looking for someone with a passion for creating groundbreaking children’s books to fill our role of Assistant Editor. Working closely with Senior Editors and the Editorial Director, the job offers a perfect opportunity to be involved in every stage of the book creation process. As a publisher whose core values focus on respect for the world’s diversity and opening doors to underrepresented voices within the publishing industry, we strongly encourage candidates of color to apply. This is a full-time position with benefits, based in Concord, Massachusetts.
***Please note that the entire Barefoot Books team is currently working remotely due to COVID-19. This role would be onboarded and start remotely for the foreseeable future. In early 2021, we moved to a new office space in Concord, MA, but returning to a group work environment is dependent upon the status of COVID-19.
What you’ll do:
- Support the editorial team on all book projects in development, assisting with text editing, art direction, collating feedback, proofreading as well as jacket and endmatter copywriting
- Assist with project management and correspondence as needed, with increasing project management responsibilities over time
- Attend and help prepare for weekly Project Progress meetings; take minutes
- Attend and help prepare for “Blue Sky” (manuscript acquisition) meetings; take minutes
- Conduct market and competition research for potential acquisitions
- Assist with reviewing and creating briefs for rebranding, errata corrections, US/UK genericizing and other updates to reissued books
- Liaise with the design team to create special trade sales editions as needed
- Proofread/copy edit marketing and sales materials, including our bi-annual product catalog, foreign rights guide, website copy and other digital or print marketing assets
- Assist with quality control editorial checklist process, checking final files before they are sent to repro as well as checking proofs, plotters and advance copies
- Manage various administrative tasks that support the editorial process, such as filing for Library of Congress data for all new books
- Read, log and evaluate manuscript submissions
- Do ongoing research to contribute to our illustrator database, search for and identify potential illustrators for new projects and help keep the database organized
- Train and manage editorial interns; assist with hiring process for editorial interns
- Perform administrative tasks such as mailings, filing reference copies, filing invoices and POs and other tasks as needed
We’re looking for someone with:
- 1–2 years relevant experience in children’s book publishing (required)
- An understanding of both print and digital delivery of content and a passion for children’s literature and picture book artwork
- The ability to work collaboratively, prioritize effectively and meet deadlines
- A keen eye for detail and a rigorous sense of organization
- Excellent communication, editing, research and writing skills
- Impeccable proofreading skills
- A resourceful and energetic personality, with strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated integrity, maturity, positivity and a constructive approach to challenges
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- A positive attitude and infectious excitement for children’s books!
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to: Emma Parkin, Editorial Director firstname.lastname@example.org
“The standard for excellence in children’s books” — Forbes
Founded in England in 1992, we are an award-winning, independent children’s publisher based in Cambridge, MA, with a mission to share stories, connect families and inspire children. In 2017, we were named by Forbes as one of the 25 Best Small Companies in America.
We have created more than 700 books, spoken word stories, music, animations, characters, puzzles and games that open children’s hearts and minds to our wonderfully diverse world. Our first app, Barefoot World Atlas, has had 4 million+ downloads and was selected by Apple as one of their top 10 apps of all time. Our YouTube channel has over 200 million views. A big part of Barefoot’s work is to support literacy initiatives across the globe and in 2019, in partnership with Books for Africa, they shipped 300K books to children orphaned by the HIV / AIDS crisis and their caregivers in Mozambique.
However, our proudest accomplishment is to have put over 25 million books into the hands of children around the world. Renowned for our pioneering approach to creating and marketing high-quality, diverse and inclusive children’s books, as well as our colorful, collaborative and fun working culture, we have laid the foundations to grow Barefoot into a timeless global family brand for the very best children’s content. See our Barefoot Manifesto.